In order to promote innovation I think we should ...

Make sure every single home in the UK has a fit for purpose connection to the internet.

It is a complete superfarce to attempt total digital inclusion when a third of the population has a substandard or non existent connection. Whilst we allow politicians to waste public money patching up an old phone line so that a few near cabinets can go faster we ignore all those on long lines or repeatedly mended ancient cables. There are millions in this position, many of them elderly. Even if some elderly folk do have a good enough connection their friends and relatives wont. Meanwhile we waste valuable resources trying to educate and engage them. They go home and it Just Won't Work. Totally ridiculous state of affairs. We need men and women of fibre. Moral and Optic. We need to sort out our infrastructure first. We need a regulator and ASA who stops monopoly telcos convincing everyone that they can deliver. They can't deliver at all. You cannot change the laws of physics. And you shouldn't be allowed to advertise fibre broadband if it is coming through a phone line.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris Conder shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Caroline B Norris commented  · 

I increasingly find that connectivity in many areas (many urban as well as rural) are not good enough for any of the things the elderly need to access. Skype for example won't work. Video on demand won't work. Any sites with graphics are too slow to load. The older a person is, the less time they have to wait. They listen patiently if you show them, but if it doesn't deliver they give up. And who can blame them? They then blame themselves and think they are too old or stupid, but it isn't them. It is the painfully inadequate infrastructure that is letting this country down. Yes we do need fibre. In our daily diet and in our telecommunications network. Right to the houses, not a couple of miles away down a shot at old phone line.

Feedback and Knowledge Base